Saturday, January 16, 2010

Insatiabilty

Insatiability:
-being unable to be satisfied, a need to have more

"And why did Alexander traveled to the far ends of the World? Why did he want to conquer the whole known world? An inner desire drove him"
- Plutarchos, Parallel lives.


I was born in the Peoples Republic of Poland, a vile communist state. In a country on the wrong side of the Iron Courtain. I was two years old when communism, with the creepy, unkown men in gray coats, just faded away into oblivion. As I grew up the country changed along with me. In fact it was developing faster than me. It still does. Now it looks nothing like the dreamland of my childhood. Constant changes were my natural habitat.

At the age of twelve my mom bought me a huge map of the world, with all the countries and capital cities marked. My imagination drove me around the globe and an urge of seeing all those places filled my heart. We did travel. And with each travel I wanted more and more. They were short. Too short!

After two years of studying the enviroment started to suppres me. The same routine enslaved my spirit and the spirit felt undone. Without much thinking I signed for the Erasmus programme. Doesn't matter where. Maybe to some german-speaking country. I know a bit of german. A scholarship for 10 months in Klagenfurt? Sure! Why not?

So I went there. With each passing day in the capital of Carynthia my mind got more open till the moment when all the mental borders disolved in alcohol and dissapeared After I came back to my home city everything had changed. Or maybe It was me who changed. I looked at Poznań, where I spend 21 years of my life, with the eyes of a tourist. As if I was here for the first time! Suprisingly this state of mind didn't pass away. Six months after my return I still look at Poznań like a person who is seeing it for the first time.

The desire hath grown. I traveled to Ukraine. To London, Klagenfurt and Berlin. Did about 6 trips and excursions in a period of half a year. Still, even a sentimental come back to Klagenfurt did not cure me. Always undone I am bound to serve my insatiability. Till my body refuses to obey me willingly.

Let's go then! To the ends of the known world! Somebody eager to join?

1 comment: